Tuesday, April 7, 2009

But I've yet to set off the fire alarm!

I keep shocking myself on couches and doorknobs (and Andy, when he's around). Hello, dry Iowan weather. I loves me some static electricity. (The last statement was a lie. I'm sorry.)

I thought I'd write up a list of How Not to Burn Down the Writing Center, possibly based upon personal experience.
  1. Do not microwave your socks for three minutes in an attempt to dry them out after a walk in the rain.
  2. Clean out the oven before you use it - turns out that food residue left from the previous use starts to smoke when you're innocently trying to make a loaf of bread. Who knew?
  3. Set the oven to Convection - not to Bake. It prevents the tops of your brownies or muffins from becoming something like charcoal biscuits while the middles remain stubbornly gooey.
  4. Don't leave a pot of coffee on a burner and forget about it so it boils dry and the pot cracks/explodes.
  5. Um. Don't be a moron, basically.
Fortunately, you're all smart, savvy individuals who won't make these same mistakes! And remember, as always, to remain vigilant against nuclear weapons.

- Leta

2 comments:

Jesse Doerr said...

Oh so many alumni stories to go with this one...

Scott Fine burned himself pretty bad running a flaming bag of popcorn out the back door one day.

Also, the original coffee roaster gave us more excitement than the current one. I even got to meet President Phifer one weekend when he came down in his shorts to see what the problem was.

The CWC said...

Becca makes delicious cake and brownies. The secret ingredient: raw, gooey centers.

Just sayin'.