Friday, October 12, 2012

Weekly Wisdom


“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” – Aristotle

As a musician, criticism is something I am bound to face, although it is something I still have not mastered accepting. You are constantly being criticized for the purpose of becoming a better musician. The criticism may be for the best, but it still hurt me every time. My tempo could be rushed, my sound shaky, no expression of dynamics, or playing the wring notes. These things were little in the big picture, but in my mind these issues were perceived as great imperfections. Although it was often hard, I just had to think of my mom’s reminder of the essence of what Aristotle said: that the criticism is meant to be constructive, that I should learn from it and not to be discouraged.

We all know that criticism is a good thing. However more times than not, at least for me, we try to avoid criticism at all cost. Deep down we know that better things can come from criticism, but in those moments we also want to appear strong and perfect. Self-consciousness is one thing that I have always struggled with in life, and maybe you have as well. Feeling that you need to live up to a certain image and that if someone gives you criticism you will be seen as less than you should. It is often form criticisms that insecurities develop.

 In part, that is why I chose this particular quote. We are all being criticized (by our test grades, paper comments, performances, interactions, etc.); the only thing different between individuals is how we take the criticism. You can choose to take it and change, take it and ignore, disregard anything was ever said, be hurt by it and change, be hurt by it and not change, and be hurt and be incredibly self-conscious about how that person views you. Obviously multiple of these solutions could result in the best decision for you, but my encouragement this week is to consider the outcome before you react. As a last note I will say that we all want to be someone (college isn’t for nothing) so we need to embrace the criticisms, great and small, head on. Speak up. React. Be something. 

-Margaret Gruhler

No comments: