Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Writing Center Goes to the Wilson's Apple Orchard

NOTE: Another post that somehow never got published! Our apologies! 

Hey all! 

It is me Kelan bringing you an update on all things Writing Center related. 

One of the committees that consultants are particularly fond of is the "All Things Fun" Committee.  They are responsible for, well, all things fun.  The committee's most recent event was a trip to Wilson's Apple Orchard for apple picking and consultant bonding.  To double the fun, the Environmental Club joined in on the fun. 

Having never been to this orchard before, I was astonished to see the number of people that decided this was the place to be on a drizzly then out and out rainy September day.  There had to be a couple hundred people at this orchard while we were there.  Part of the reason for the crowd was the sheer size of this place.  My previous experience at the small family run, honor system orchard near my house back in Minnesota did not prepare me for Wilsons.  I was astonished to see a sea of apple tree as far as the eye can see.  From the new Zestar, to the crisp Liberty, and the delicious Jersey Mac, the Wilson Orchard had it all.  Looking at the orchards website, I was informed that they have over 120 different kinds of apples to pick.  Oh, and did I mention that they have pumpkins too?

Something I learned on this excursion was how to be a responsible apple picker.  Yes, there is a right way to tackle this task.   Before we were let loose on the trees the staff at the orchard store made sure we mastered the official "twist and pull technique."  Using this method makes sure that when you remove the apple you take away as little wood along with it as possible.  If nothing else, I'm hoping that by the end of this year readers of this blog will be able to say they picked up at least one useful tidbit, and this may be it. 

As a classic starving college student, one of the highlights of this trip was discovering the apple version of the five second rule.   If you see an apple on the ground that looks good to eat, not only can you take it you don't even have to pay for it!!!  This is one reason you may have seen me prowling around the Jersey Mac section more than once. That sense of finders keepers only makes apples sweeter.  


Being a Minnesota boy, one of my favorite apples is the Honey crisp, which coincidentally was invented at the University of Minnesota.  In my opinion no apple can match the Honeycrisp.  For those of you who have yet to experience apple nirvana, you will have to take it on faith when I say no other apple has the combination of size, crunch, and just the right amount of sweetness as a ripe Honey crisp.  You can imagine my disappointment when I saw that the Honeycrisp is only ripe in the beginning of September.  We had arrived too late!  Oh well...maybe next year. 

After we had had our fill of picking apples off the ground the Writing Center/Environmental Club members converged in the orchard store where everything apple related was sold.  Having heard some insiders tips beforehand, I knew that I had to try the Orchards apple donuts and turnovers.  Ordering six donuts and one turnover, I have to tell you, was the best decision I had made all day.  Who knew that you could infuse the flavor of apples into donuts?  I have no idea how the orchard did it. I  don't particularly care, as long as they keep making more. The apple turnover has to be mentioned too.  Normally I'm actually not that big of a fan of apple turnovers. The ones that I had had before were usually cold, and the apples in them were too sweet.  I never finished them.  Not the case at Wilson's.  Theirs were hot, and mean hot, and the apple filling inside was just the right amount of sweet to keep you wanting more. 

All in all, it was definitely a great way to spend my Saturday afternoon.  I can't wait to see what the "All Things Fun" committee has in store for us next!

Thanks for reading, 
Kelan

No comments: