Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Power outage in WC, rest of campus

The following is a minute-by-minute account of the 5 minute-long power outage which affected most of campus this Thursday's eve:

at 1842 hours (or thereabouts) : all lights, computers, monitors, printers, scanners, hot water heater, coffee maker, and fish tank aerator turn off. Silence reigns. Perhaps for the first time since these offices became the CWC.

1843 hours: Dr. Bob enters the main room, carrying a flashlight. His only words: "I see the emergency lights came on in this room." Indeed they had.

1844 hours: Andrew Klingler decides to play the hero and investigate the rest of the building to see what other lights are off. Hanna Werner and I watch him leave. Dr. Bob leaves in the opposite direction to do a similar survey. Werner and I are completely alone.

1845 hours: I call Security. They already knew about it. Steve Singleton arrives to give us moral support.

1846 hours: Werner and I debate which horror movie this is most like.

1847 hours: Power returns. Dr. Bob returns a few moments later. Coincidence? Or extraordinary brilliance?

Dr. Bob: "I'm just gratified to know that I was able, in the dark, to find my flashlight."
Klingler: "28 Days Later--lot of power outages in that movie too."
Kyn: "...."


- Johanna

No comments: