Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Marvelous Night



                You know that a night was well spent when you spend part of it in the ER. Not me, thankfully, but a friend I made. You see, this past Saturday I decided to attend the first Rug cutters pub dance of the year, which was, may I say, the high light of my first quarter here at Coe. For starters, people actually asked other people to dance, which was a novel feeling especially for me. On top of that, when I wasn’t dancing, I was jamming out with some girls to one side of the dance floor where we salsa-ed, chacha-ed or Charleston-ed by ourselves. And there was food. Lots of delicious food, including cookies and chips.
               
               However, that’s not the bulk of this story. The bulk of this story comes from a friend of Kelci’s and mine. His name is Andrew and he’s from Cornell in Mount Vernon. Now, a bunch of guys from Cornell drove to Coe to join us in our dancing, and Andrew was one of them. May I just say that he and I danced the coolest rendition of “Don’t Stop Believin’” that this world will ever see? In any case, he was nagging on Kelci for not dancing well, and they decided they should have a worm competition. You know that dance move where the person convulses on the floor repeatedly? Yeah, that one.  Things were going great.  Kelci started off and twitched beautifully, earning a few snide looks and a couple pity laughs.  Andrew went out to show off, but almost as soon as he was on the floor he was off it.  Unfortunately for our new friend Andrew, there was somehow a rock on the dance floor which split his chin wide open, and resulted in the three of us trooping over to the ER at Saint Luke’s for him to get stitches.
               
              Having said that, we were the happiest people in the ER. Dancing was a ton of fun and we told each other funny stories whilst waiting to be called up. Andrew took the stitches in stride, which is more than I would do, and after we impressed the nurses at Saint Luke’s by not being intoxicated in the slightest, we returned back to Coe.  We weren’t sure what to do as it was pretty late and we didn’t want to drive Andrew home, so we ended up sitting on the floor and drinking tea!   At the startlingly late hour of 2:30 a.m., I returned to my room to catch a few hours of sleep.
               
And that, for the record, was one of the best evenings at Coe I’ve had so far. 


  - Julia Pillard (and Kelci de Haas)

No comments: