Thursday, March 14, 2013

Weekly Wisdom

"Humility in our quest for success provides for the strongest sort of sustainable leadership, and facilitates the attainment of true success. It is the core of moral character and is a surprising springboard to both personal and competitive excellence." - Tom Morris

It took be by surprise when I stumbled across this quote because I just finished writing something for a class about how I lack humility. I am a quiet, shy, and highly respectable, and for those reasons when it comes to admitting my faults I freeze. We did this activity in class where we shared mean things we had said so we could see how much our words (no matter how seemingly small) hurt those around us. I, however, could not get past my own insecurities for the purpose of the assignment showing that I had no humility.

I wanted to share this with all of you in the hopes that I can make you think about your interactions with others. I always thought I was the kind of person who could show some humility when it was necessary but had my thoughts broken by one in-class activity. This one activity has caused me to think more critically about what I say and to whom I say things. Humility is not just being able to admit your own faults but to think before you speak that you would not put yourself on the level to hurt someone else. It is all about being considerate and thinking about the needs of those around you before your own. Show a random act of kindness day may have passed, but I urge all of you to keep it going this week and show a little humility.

-Margaret Gruhler

No comments: