Tuesday, July 23, 2013

On the Importance of Doing Things

Summer time always allows a sort of atrophy to come over me. Rather than getting up at the hour of seven, I find myself wanting to stay in bed until ten. I don't usually want to get up and go to work; I'd much rather curl up in bed with a book all day and not move. Similarly, I don't want to put any effort towards any of my other pursuits. I have to force myself to write, to knit, to practice my instruments.
I sometimes wonder why it is that I don't experience something similar during the year. Why is it that during the school year, I am able to get out of bed at 7 and function for 15+ hours a day with no naps (yes, I do take naps. Don't judge me to harshly)? Why am I so excited for things during the school year, an excitement which is leeched out of me by the summer heat?
I think its a combination of things. In part, I think it comes from my extreme passion for learning. If I could spend the rest of my life in classes, learning everything I could, I would happily do so. I love the act of sitting in a classroom and making new connections with old material. I also love the people. I have friends in college who I've bonded with over our mutual love of intellectual pursuits.
I suppose what I am attempting to say (very clumsily) is that doing things makes me happy. I love school, and I love all the things I've had the opportunity to pursue there. So, if you are like me and the summertime blues sometimes overwhelms you, just remember that in a little more than a month, you will be doing more than you ever wanted to once again.

As Always, Yours,
Julia

No comments: