Friday, July 12, 2013

On Summertime



It’s 90 degrees outside, and I am way too sweaty.
I always think, during the year when it is freezing cold outside and I’m exhausted from school work, that summer is gorgeous, that I’ll have all this free time to do things that I’ve been meaning to get around to, that I will finally not be exhausted all the time.
Inevitably, however, I perpetually have the wrong idea. Summer does have more free time, in theory, but much of that is eaten up by working and reading for the coming semester. Summer would be gorgeous, if it were temperate enough for me to go outside without roasting (sunburns are the bane of my existence). And summer would allow me to not be exhausted…if it weren’t for the fact that I wake up at 3 a.m. because of the extraordinary heat, even at night.
Basically, what I realize every summer and forget every fall is that school is my favorite time of year. The phrase “the grass in always greener on the other side” certainly applies to my divergent mentality on these two periods during the year; no matter which one I’m in, I think the other is better. During the school year, I’m exhausted, but it’s an exhaustion which stems from a job well done, and my “free time” is turned into fun classes, dinners with friends, and early mornings making coffee in the writing center.
So, when I looked at the calendar today and realized that the semester is only about seven weeks away, I couldn’t help but feel a little excited that soon I would be plunging into the world of academia and late nights once again.

As Always, Yours,
Julia

No comments: