Sunday, August 4, 2013

On Enjoyment

I've been reading a book recently called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. The book is essentially one woman's journey to become happier over the course of a year. She doesn't start off the book unhappy or depressed; she just believes that she could, given the opportunity, be happier. Its an interesting read, and one of my favorite chapters discusses her journey to enjoy the things she enjoys more fully and without shame.
This struck a particular chord with me, as I have gone through my life feeling a bit inadequate in my hobbies and activities. Truth be told, I like a lot of very boring things. I like reading. I like watching movies. I enjoy knitting and making tea.
Comparatively, the things I think I would like are very exciting; ice skating, rock climbing, horseback riding. However, after having tried many of these things, I can firmly say that I don't derive much pleasure from them at all. The problem is that I feel like I should. I have friends who do all of these things and enjoy them immensely. Yet, when I try them, I just feel disappointed and annoyed that I talked myself into doing them.
What the book suggests is to enjoy things, partake of hobbies, and not feel bad about liking the things you like. I appreciated that message; it was okay, finally, to not enjoy ice skating, horseback riding, or rock climbing . It was acceptable to enjoy the little, boring things, and not feel ashamed about it.
Now, at the beginning of August, I encourage you, dear reader, to enjoy what you enjoy and not feel bad about it.

As Always, Yours,
Julia

No comments: