Monday, August 19, 2013

On Home, Travel, and Writing

Lots of things to talk about today, yes?
This past week, my mother and I were out shopping for school supplies. She's a teacher, and so we are constantly making pilgrimages to the dollar section of Target in search of goodies for her students. Whilst we were there, I picked up a planner for the coming year, and my mother mentioned to me that Coe had become my new "norm".
Yes, I thought. Yes, it rather has. I am more used to being in Iowa, throwing myself into my studies, than I am to being at home now. My concept of "home" has shifted. Now, I have two homes, 800 miles apart.
One of my friends, on a similar note, has decided to emigrate to England. She's been wandering around for some time, in search of something nameless, and thinks she has found it in England. I will miss her dearly, but she is doing what she wants.
“I know I am planning to visit a 'land' that is not entirely foreign, only foreign to me. As an adventurer, I am on a journey that I believe will last me my whole life. A new relationship, discovery, or awareness excites me" writes Marilyn Barnicke, and in a way she is write. A new place is only "foreign" to the traveler, because they've never been there before. The more we travel, the more we are able to learn and grow and make the world as a whole our home. I cannot say that I won't miss my family; I will miss them a lot. But this time next week, I will be in Iowa and surrounded by friends, books, and the promise of a new year. And I must admit, I'm looking forward to it. 

As Always, Yours,
Julia

No comments: