Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Topics Tuesday: Are More Choices Better?


Hello one and all.

Today we're not having Topics Tuesday.

 ...April Fool's! I know, such a good joke. OF COURSE we're having Topics Tuesday, where I write about all things Topics in Composition, our writing center staff development course.

This week, my group worked on our research project. That might not be the most thrilling thing for you to read about at this point (though it will be when we are done)! Instead, I want to direct you to a poignant TEDTalk by Barry Schwartz called "The Paradox of Choice."


I remember watching this video last fall in Topics. I still think about it often, especially in relation to conferences.

In short, Schwartz talks about how more options is not always better. Sometimes, having too many choices paralyzes us.

I think this concept can be true for writing as well. A writer has endless possibilities for the content, organization, and style of the paper. Starting a paper can be incredibly daunting.

When I conference, I try to help the writer focus on a few choices at a time. I ask the writer to think hypothetically about what the paper would look like if they chose to take one particular direction. Thinking about one option at a time can help the writer move forward, even if he later decides on a different path.

-Angela


No comments: