Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Topics Tuesday: Eureka!

First order of business: I did not eat a taco today. This is the first Tuesday since the beginning of the semester when I have not eaten a taco. I just wasn't in the mood, and sometimes you have to listen to your (forthcoming) heart (disease) with these decisions.

BUT luckily my food choices don't change that it's still Tuesday... which means it's Topics Tuesday. Get pumped.

Today I have a selection from Spilling the Beans, our staff folklore anthology. Basically, Spilling the Beans is this gem of a book where we collect past and present consultants' thoughts about conferencing, the Writing Center, and writing in general.

I am hopeful that Flunk Day is tomorrow -- a greatly-anticipated surprise day on Coe's campus when all classes are cancelled. In wishful thinking, I am including an excerpt from the section "Eureka! Discovery, Inspiration, and Elation" (how I will feel when I am hopefully woken up by excited college students).

Robin Swale, Spring 2001:

"'Every interaction we have with people changes the reaction we'll have to the next interaction.'

Hmmm, Thought provoking, isn't it? And, the reality is that in its simplistic portrayal, it's so true. Each time we conference, we learn something new. We learn more about communication. We realize more about how our peers work. We gain teaching expertise, and perhaps a little more insight on exactly how important a clearly stated, provable thesis is. Every time a person walks in to the writing center, each time we lead them to the tables in the hallway, we learn something from them as they learn from, and bounce ideas off of, us. And then we take what we learn from them and use it in our next interaction.

Example. When I started our here last year, I had absolutely no clue what I was doing. I remember sitting and feeling overwhelmed when my first conference was not only an upperclassman, but an upperclassman that also worked in the WC. I didn't know anything about revising except for grammar changes, sentence structure, and the dumb reader technique. But I learned. With each and every conference I sat down to, I thought of (or borrowed from other consultants) different ways to approach papers. I realized today as I walked back into the writing center after a conference just how much I have learned through the year and a half I have been here, and just how many different skills I have obtained. I am no longer afraid to ask questions, no longer afraid of those hour and a half brainstorming sessions. My conferences have developed from the five-minute slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am variety to the hour long discussions about organization, thought process, thesis statements, and anything else that the writer wishes to bring up. I am not saying that I am the perfect consultant. By all means, no. I am just saying that I've learned, and that the realization of that fact is amazing.

It's true--'every interaction we have with other people changes the reaciton we'll have to the next interaction.'"
Conferencing itself is full of Eureka moments, but sometimes the moments come long after. Talking to others about writing is a skill, and its development often happens when we're not realizing it. Here at the CWC, we keep on keeping on because practice is key.

All my best,

Angela


No comments: