Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Heidi's Blog Update: #1

I noticed in Anna's last blog she mentioned how absolutely silent the WC is now that it's summer break.  I couldn't agree more!  I just got back to campus yesterday and it seems strange that all the buildings and chubby Coe squirrels are still present while the students are not.  Along with Anna, Manderson, and Kobe, I'll be working in the Writing Center from May through August as one of my three summer jobs.  Lucky you, you get to hear me babble once a week about all the amazingly exciting (let's hope for all of us WC staffers' sanity) activities that are taking place in the WC and on campus this summer!

My jobs this summer in the WC consist of updating the WC website, making sure people get paid (verrry important stuff there), blogging once a week of course, assisting in the publication of our Alumni Newsletter, formatting and working on the summer exercise for incoming freshman (any questions freshman and prospies...ask your's truly), and keeping our lively group of three plants in the WC healthy and happy (which could be quite a challenge seeing as I am to be blamed for the death of one unlucky flower in my dorm room last year).

Aside from those jobs, if you're interested in a few fun facts about me, here goes...

Over the course of this summer and the fall I will be working for the Writing Center, Upward Bound, the Heritage Office, working as a CAP leader, bookstore employee...yep, I think that's it.  This fall I will be a LIGHT team leader for Intervarsity, our Christian organization on campus, play ultimate frisbee like it's one of my many jobs, and will also be working as a Writing Fellow again this year for an FYS class.

As for the spring semester, I am incredibly excited to be traveling abroad in Paris, France!  I cannot wait!  Although I am incredibly nervous at the same time to be dropped into a new country, with a different language, new family (I'll be staying with a host family), and new school (the Sorbonne- heck yes!), I can't wait to try something completely new!  I am a French major, Secondary Education minor, with an English endorsement and hope to teach high school French, so what better way to be more knowledgeable on my subject than to go to the lovely and vibrant country itself!  Anyone seen Ratatouille?  It's going to be exactly like that, swap the cooking for school work, subtract a talking rat and add a fumbling French-speaking American student, and yep, that's basically my life in the spring! ;)

Well here's to an amazing summer and hopefully exciting updates to come!  Enjoy these sunny skies and hot days. :)

  - Heidi Heaton

No comments: