Monday, November 12, 2012

Weekly Wisdom


“If you hear a voice within you saying, 'I am not a painter,' then, by all means, paint...and that voice will be silenced.” - Vincent van Gogh

                  This quote gave me a boost of confidence this week, so I thought I should share it with all of you. There are so many things that I want to do in life, but too many times I sell myself short by telling myself that it isn’t worth it or that I wouldn’t be good at it anyway—I would just be setting myself up for failure. While in fact after hearing this quote I realized that I am setting myself up for failure by talking myself out of things  I wish I could do. Just because I am not a good dancer doesn’t mean that I cannot go to Rug Cutters. I would not make as big a fool of myself as I lead myself to believe.
This is obviously a small decision that I only face issue with on Tuesday’s, but there will be larger, life-altering decisions that I do not want to fail at because of a simple mind game. If any of you play the same mind game, I don’t want you to fall short for the same reasons. We are all incredible human beings. I bet that each one of you has something you are holding back for some selfish reason or another. I only hope that van Gogh’s words will give you the boost you need to pursue your “something”. For me, I am going to start by finding a friend to go to Rug Cutters with, and then maybe I will work up the courage of confidence to get out of my mind for what really matters.
                                                                                                                                                        -Margaret Gruhler

No comments: