Monday, November 19, 2012

Weekly Wisdom


                   “Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” W.T. Purkiser

                  This time of year always gets me thinking about the people in my life. This year I have been particularly thankful and blessed that I have the mom that I do. Maybe this sounds very cliché, but my mom has gone through so much in her lifetime and until recent months I never understood the full scope of who she is. My mom is incredibly strong, incredibly selfless, incredibly loving, and incredibly funny. I love my mom more than anything on this earth and that is why I am blessed to have her in my life.
                  I have had these words running through my head, so this is why I love this quote so much. It really is not “what we say” but it is “how we use” our blessings. I can have these kind words of thanks running through my head, but I need to use these words. I need to tell my mom exactly what I have been thinking. This task may be easy for some, but I find it difficult coming from a family where communication is subpar. That is why, after reading this quote, I am going to make it my goal to tell my mom why I am thankful for her this week.
                  I have made my thanksgiving goal, what is yours? I urge every one of you to not just be thankful, but also give thanks. We all have someone in our lives who deserves to hear our thanks and if we only mention our thanks in our prayers or around the Thanksgiving dinner table it isn’t always enough. Giving thanks is often personal and needs to be shared in a personal way. I believe this “is the true measure of our thanksgiving”.

-Margaret Gruhler

No comments: