Monday, December 3, 2012

Staff Spotlight


                This week’s spotlight goes to Ashley Collom. If you don’t know anything about Ashley you are about to find out. Aside from being an overall awesome person she is a junior here at Coe in pursuit of an English degree because as Ashley put it, “it is the $#!%”. Ashley is going to continue being a self-proclaimed rock star, but the opportunities she has been given in the Writing Center has only uncovered her true desire for the future—a career as an editor. Speaking of the Writing Center and all of its greatness, Ashley’s favorite moments in the Writing Center consist of her Friday afternoon shifts. Among other things, she absolutely loves the people she works with (shout-outs to Chloe, Hailley, and Spencer!). She loves how they “just talk about everything”.
                I may not know a whole lot about Ashley, but I can say that she is an asset to the Coe Writing Center. She may not remember, but she is the first person I ever had a conference with. It was at the staff retreat in the Amana Colonies my freshman year and it was because of that conference that I knew I would be able to survive as a writing consultant. Maybe it is her loud and boisterous voice that got me, because it made it seem like she was supper enthusiastic about my paper, but one thing that I can say for sure, whatever it was about that conference it gave me confidence. Thanks Ashley!
                I can also say that Ashley’s rock star talents are not simply confined to centaur work in the Writing Center. On top of being the Editor–in-Chief of Colere she is also the Co-President of V-Day. In case you don’t know what Colere is, it is a publication of “student’s poetry, fiction, and non-fiction dedicated to sharing ideas on cultural issues”( http://www.public.coe.edu/wac/publications.htm ). Given that we are the only Writing Center in the country with a publication I would say this is a huge accomplishment. Congratulations go out to Ashley, and make sure to check out the next edition of Colere coming out this spring.
Don’t forget, Ashley is the spotlight of the week so if you see her congratulate her because, after all, she is a rock star.

-Margaret Gruhler

No comments: