Thursday, February 28, 2013

Weekly Wisdom

"How did it get so late so soon?" -Dr. Seuss

First I would like to apologize for not posting the last couple of weeks. While I have no excuse, I chose this quote because it really describes my life in the past weeks and how I have now become (as many would classify) a real "college student".

Life as a typical college student usually consists of long nights studying for upcoming tests or finishing assignments that are due the next day. This was not the case for me until the past couple of weeks. Before I was able to make it to bed by nine o'clock every night with all of my homework complete, but recently have not made it to bed before eleven o'clock just so I can finish all of my work. The ironic part of the whole situation is that it wasn't difficult; I kept anticipating a time where I would crash from sheer exhaustion and not be able to focus, but that didn't happen. In fact, I was working on a presentation earlier last week and thought to myself "wow! It is already after one o'clock in the morning and I am not even tired." I was essentially asking myself "how did it get so late so soon?"

You may be asking yourself what any of this has to do with you. I reply by testifying that this is college. All of the things that I found myself staying up late to work on were things that were of interest to me--work for my elementary education courses. If it was for work in any other course I cannot imagine straining myself to go beyond my usual limits of nine o'clock to complete work. This is the beauty of college: you get to study (for the most part) the things that interest you. This is at least my experience so far and if you take one thing out of this post I hope that it would be to embrace your studies and your interests and you too will be asking yourself "how did it get so late so soon?" Hopefully you will be eager to continue your studies no matter the time just because they are of interest to you.

-Margaret Gruhler

No comments: