Monday, July 23, 2012

Heidi's Blog Update #12

So our Upward Bound program has finally come to an end.  This summer ended up being our last summer program here at Coe due to several disappointing circumstances and this upcoming year of tutoring will be the last year for tutoring for the kids on campus.  It was hard to see the teary faces Friday evening when we got back from Omaha and kids began packing up their rooms to leave.  This program means so much to them and their families, builds a foundation for them to construct an academic future on, and gives them hope, confidence, and pride in their own potential as students and individuals.  I was so blessed to have had the opportunity to be a part of the program for even just one year, and will not forget the difference these kids made in my life.

In other news, Manderson and I have been consulting over the WC website and conversing about how best to approach the new changes we will be making this summer.  We had a phone conference the other day with him being in Wyoming (suuuuper jealous, cause that state is my home away from home) and me finishing up work with Upward Bound.  We decided to devote almost every waking our of our lives to the WC this upcoming week from the 30th to the 3rd to solely collaborate on the website.

I've also had time to discuss more with Dr. Bob the goings-on of our summer writing exercise.  As the students send in their submissions, I reformat them all to have 12pt font, Times New Roman, 1'' margins, and single-spaced paragraphs.  Dr. Bob and I also discussed some files I will need to go through in the near future and assume this will occupy a lot of the hours of work I still need to accumulate for the Writing Center this summer.

My work with Kelly Allen and the Heritage Office is still going very well and I will be meeting with her tomorrow to discuss some revisions we have to make to the two articles I have written, as well as the third interview and article I will need to begin shortly about our last feature alumni.  If you want to learn anything about the writing process, I suggest going through the process of interviewing people and writing and rewriting articles produced from these interviews.  I have great respect for news-reporters because of all the time, dedication, and revision that goes into those articles.  It is such a skill to write articles that can both touch your readers but yet keep the writer independent from the piece.  I usually find I have an easier time writing when I can incorporate some of my own experience or nuances into the writing, but when you're writing an article featuring someone specifically, you still need to be captivating and capture the essence of that featured someone, but yet keep yourself out completely from the actual tones of the piece...very tricky business.

Also in regards to my other job on campus, I just received a list of the first-years who will be in my FYS this fall--my caplets--who I am super excited for and I can't wait to begin writing my second letter to them, as well as brainstorming themes for door decs with my co-CAP leader, Josie Visser.

So although Upward Bound has come to a close for now until I begin our last year of tutoring in the fall, I am still staying incredibly busy with the WC, Heritage Office, CAP responsibilities, and trying to incorporate some downtime into my packed summer schedule. :)

Hope your summer is all fun and sunny skies!

Your WC Correspondent,

 - Heidi Heaton

No comments: