Sunday, May 25, 2014

Greetings, Salutations, and Other Words of Similar Meanings Ad Nauseum

Hello everyone who visits the Writing Center blog! I have no idea who is included in that list and what you're interested in hearing about, so I'm going to feel a little bit like I'm writing to myself. And this might result in a great deal of me rambling on about things. Like I'm doing right now. Should probably stop doing that. Mostly because the banana bread I'm trying to cook is starting to smell oddly and is probably burning as I'm typing this...

I suppose I should begin with an introduction: I'm Patrick. I'm a creative writing and philosophy double major with a potential minor in unemployment. I think professionals call it "freelance writing" and it sounds like it would be fun and conform well to my desire to not get out of bed before noon. It also sounds slightly terrifying with all the college debt I'm lugging around. And the fact I have yet to publish anything outside a single poem in my college literary magazine, the Coe Review. Long-term goal, I guess.

Aside from my writing center and gardening duties, I'm currently gainfully employed at the local Hy-Vee, and am trying to finish a book and do research for a research paper on John Stuart Mill's On Liberty that I shall be writing next semester. And making assorted (potentially vain) attempts to not be a hermit. And, eventually, making expeditions to bookstores because I like books, and libraries because I like books and don't have much in the way of disposable income. More on that if and when those trips happen. Possibly with pictures, if I manage to commandeer a camera.

As for my insights for this piece... well, a glance outside my window tells me it's a beautiful day, I've found a new Ed Sheeran song to listen to, my eyes currently hurt from taking too many notes on a library book I'll need to return soon, and I'll need to get working on my book shortly because I've been lazy about working on it and need to fix that. I have banana bread that I hope is edible cooling on the counter, a chicken in the slow cooker I might have put too much steak sauce on, and a poem I wrote last night that has the potential to not be shit after I rewrite it a few times. Seems like it'll be a good day. And I may need to locate some nonfiction to determine how people write about things in an interesting manner without lying profusely. 

-Patrick

No comments: