Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Heidi's Blog Update #19

Yesterday was the last day for all first-year students to submit their summer writing exercises, so needless to say, there were plenty of emails today expressing confusion, frustration, and apologies for tardiness.  It seems that most things have been sorted out now though, so that's great to have that job completed.  Now all my attention will be on updates for our WC website and producing our next alumni newsletter.

I logged onto our website today to work on some revisions of the layout so each page parallels the others in font style, size, and general appearance.  For some reason, a lot of the pages had awkward page breaks with lines separating headings and descriptions from their counterparts and unnecessary divisions throughout the page.  Most of my time on the website was spent battling the lack of clarity of gmail's set-up and not understanding how on earth one page could be double-spaced, another single-spaced, but no option was available to select spacing/alignment or to change one to mirror the other.  Some of the links also open up within a different tab when they should open in the same tab depending on if it's another WC website page or separate site all-together.

Most of the website has the same appearance now between pages, but some things I need to give some further thought...but mostly get another set of eyes on because I am not nearly as tech savvy as I'd like to be. :)

I also sent a quick email to Kobe about the goings-on of my side of the Alumni Newsletter and trying to uncover contact information for graduates of '09 and '10, which still doesn't show much progress, but might be easier to track down once I'm back on campus.

Other than the culmination of the summer writing exercise, and website and newsletter updates, not much else has changed for WC business.  I'm much happier with the beginnings of my personal blog now, so as I work on that blog, I'm sure it will give me more ideas for this one as well and vice versa.

Hope everyone's enjoying their summer and sleeping in while you can!

- Heidi Heaton

No comments: