Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Heidi's Blog Update #20




Ta-Da! These door decs are the product of a verrrry long day of cutting, glueing, tracing, and coloring.  Josie Visser (a new consultant addition to our Writing Center this year, joint CAP leader with me, and friend of mine) and I are both CAP leaders for the Nature of Science FYS this coming fall.  Josie and I were both CAP leaders last year.  I was a CAP for this same FYS of around forty students with two professors and Josie was a CAP leader of one of the other, many First-Year Seminar courses.

We're both super excited for Orientation week, coming up from August 22nd-26th, when we will officially meet the thirty-six first-years to whom we have been sending letters.  Josie just recently sent out the last letter to our caplets while I made the door decs we will hang on their dorm room doors before they move into their new home away from home.  I have to say I'm pretty proud of the stars in particular on these door decs.  You can't tell from the photos, but they are indeed felt. :)

Josie and I will also have the pleasure of working with a smaller group of around five out of our thirty-six caplets as their Writing Fellows.  A Writing Fellow is a WC consultant who assists a smaller group of first-years with papers pertaining to their FYS class, and other assignments and study tools to get them acquainted with college-level writing and expectations.  We meet weekly with our small groups and students are encouraged to conference regularly with their Writing Fellow on their papers.

I worked as a Writing Fellow for this same FYS last year and absolutely loved the experience.  All of the students I worked with were very diligent and hard-working, and it was much easier to discuss their course load after already establishing a relationship with them as their CAP leader.  I can't wait to work with a new group of students in the fall in a similar environment.

As I've also become used to including a quick Olympic update/blurb in all of my posts, I'd like to congratulate Kerri and Misty on their third, consecutive win for gold in women's volleyball doubles at the Olympics!  They're incredibly exciting to watch and fought for their gold this year, as always.  Yay!

Well, I'm going to be leaving for a flight to Annapolis tomorrow morning at 7:30am, so I better hit the hay here...and probably should pack as well. :)  Thanks for reading!  Fall's just around the corner. :)

- Heidi Heaton

1 comment:

Josie T said...

Woot woot! They turned out great:)