Thursday, August 2, 2012

Heidi's Blog Update #16

Back to the blog after my day of moving!

I was so proud of myself yesterday for my beastly speedy move.  I had everything (except a fridge, microwave, TV, and my papasan...if you don't know what a papasan is you are deeply deprived) moved out of Murray and into my van parked out front within an hour!

Then I grabbed my new apartment key for Schlarbaum 3 from Res. Life and headed over to my room to begin unpacking...

About nine hours later, I had everything set-up in my room, wall decor and all, and was ready to make a Walmart run with two of my three roommates, Hailley and Whitney, before coming back to the apartment to move another futon and watch more of the Olympics!

It was a jam-packed day but I'm so excited to be living in an apartment now...I love Murray bunches, but it's a welcome change in environment...

So today, with the move behind me, I went back to work on Writing Center business.  This morning Manderson and I met in the Writing Center to discuss the website more.  We talked about the changes made to the staff page and I finished editing it.  Manderson worked on the fabulous new template you'll now notice as the "notebook" template, and the rest of the day I've been updating our site, in particular the "Handout" and "WC Publications" tabs.  Also while in the WC, Emily Hipps called, a graduate of Coe and past WC consultant asking for an I-drive file to be sent to her for work tutoring immigrants...very cool, Emily!  Ah and the navigable tabs can now be found across the top of our Writing Center website page rather than down the side, thanks to Manderson's computer savvy.

On the Alumni Newsletter side of things, Kobe asked if I could get in contact with the class of '09 and '10 so we can feature graduates and their goings-on.  I emailed Kelly Russell today for their current email addresses and will be sending out a note soon with hopes that we'll get several responses with interesting things to include in the newsletter.

This coming weekend will be our last submission date for the First-Year Summer Writing Exercise, so hopefully we receive plenty more submissions and then those documents should be all set to go for the faculty review shortly.

I'll be out of town from the 3rd through the 13th visiting with family back home and then taking a trip to see my brother at the Naval Academy!  I can't wait to see him!

Then when I return I'll have a reception to work for the Heritage Office, more work hours, and a "Fun Day" for the staff to relax before the school year starts.  And of course there are still door decs to be made for my caplets and then Freshman Orientation starts.  It's going to be one busy fall semester, but I'm looking forward to it!

Hope you've enjoyed your first two days of August!

- Heidi Heaton

No comments: